Monday, July 6, 2009

June 17, Bern to Lausanne



Kai and I woke up around 4 am and looked around Bern's old town while the kids slept. Early morning of Bern was much nicer and more charming. When we got back to the hotel, around 6am, we woke the kids.


I quickly rushed the family out the door, and we got onto the train to Lausanne, the french part of Switzerland. Lausanne was more of dynamic metropolitan, which the 4 of us loved it. (I wish we stayed in Lausaane instead of Bern). First stop in Lausanne was the Cathedrals. Before we bought tickets to climb up to the top of Cathedrals, I double checked with the nun who was in charge of selling ticket, that if the ticket was included in the Swiss pass. She was very unhappy that I viewed church as a tourist site.


Lausanne's street



Around noon time, we took a REV train (local, slower) to Chateau de Chillion which was included in the Swiss pass. It is located on the shore of Lake Geneva, at the eastern end of the lake, near Montreux, Switzerland. The castle consists of 100 independent buildings that were gradually connected and now form a single building.
The oldest parts of the castle have not been definitively dated, but the first written record of the castle is in 1160 or 1005. The Chateau is huge, it took us more than 2 hours to walk around.





We caught a boat to Vyues.




The boat made several stops between the French town and the Swiss town. My husband and I met a couple of guys from the Mideast. I have never seen any guy that liked to take picture of each other more than they did. One of them came to Kai, and said "If you need us to take a picture for you, please don't hesitate to ask." After few minutes, we realized they really wanted us to take a picture for them.

We ate our dinner in Lausanne. The restaurant located next to the lake. Crepes are their specialty. I had a crepe consisting of tomato, cheese and ham. I had a crepe filled with ice cream, peaches, and chocolate for desert. After dinner, I convinced Alice and Edward that we needed to visit the Olympic park in Lausanne which is the headquarters of the International Olympic Organization. By the time we got there, the museum was already closed. The outside of the museum was fun to look around as well.



This is a Phelps sculpture made of sand.


A few more sand sculptures were made in the park to.
There is an article about these sculptures

No comments:

Post a Comment